Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Ulta FX Top Coats Review & Swatches

Hi y'all!!  How are you on this Tuesday?  Since I'm reviewing FOUR top coats for you today, I'm going to get right to it (it's kind of long,  but so worth it!).  When the May Ulta sales flyer came out, I saw they had a 4 piece special effects top coat and I knew I HAD to have it!  It took me a while to get there, but I made it:
They are, from left to right, as described by Ulta:
Color Enhancing Top Coat- "Brightens and intensifies any nail enamel.  Pops in direct sunlight and glows under black light."
Matte Top Coat- "Create a matte effect when applied over any shade."
Holographic Top Coat- "Futuristic rainbow holographic effect when used alone.  Silvery holographic frost when used over any colored nail enamel."
Smokey Top Coat- Gives any shade of nail polish a dark smokey effect.  Extends wear and increase shine."

And the nail polishes I used were:
Piggy Polish- Pink-ing of You (a super shimmery pink)
Nina Ultra Pro- Lilacing Discipline (lilac crème)

Are you dying to see the results??  All Pictures show two coats of the base color with ONE coat of the top coat.  Ok, first up is Piggy Polish Pink-ing of You (in direct sun):
Thumb: my normal top coat (Pro-FX High Gloss Quick Dry Top Coat)
Index:  Color Enhancing Top Coat
Middle Finger:  Matte Top Coat
Ring Finger:  Holographic Top Coat
Pinky:  Smokey Top Coat

And the crème, Nina Ultra Pro Lilacing Disipline (in direct sun):
Thumb:  Normal top coat (Pro-FX High Gloss Quick Dry Top Coat)
Index:  Smokey Top Coat
Middle Finger:  Holographic Top Coat
Ring Finger: Matte Top Coat
Pinky: Color Enhancing Top Coat

Ok, so let's take them one at a time.  First up, Color Enhancing Top Coat.  To be honest, I can't tell any difference between it and my regular top coat.  They looked identical to me.  It was a nice, glossy top coat and since I can't find my regular one anymore, I'm glad to have it.  I don't have any pictures of it under black light, because I don't have a black light, but I'm sure it glows.  If I come across a light, I'll give it a try.

Next is the Matte Top Coat.  This worked just like any matte top coat.  Although I so like the matte on the Piggy Polish more than the crème.  But that's just my preference.  The Matte Top Coat worked perfectly on both types of polish.

Next we have the Holographic Top Coat.  Oh my goodness!!  Who doesn't love holo???  And this worked perfectly.  And although for some reason it looks sedated in the pictures, it was a gorgeous, bright linear holo in person.  I do think this one looked better on the crème, but again, that is just my opinion.  It worked fabulously.  You could use two coats and just wear it alone.  It would be fabulous!

Last is the Smokey Top Coat.  This was the one I was probably most excited about, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.  On the super shimmery Piggy Polish, it was fabulous!  It went on smoothly and evenly.  And it did give the pink polish a dark, smokey look and I loved it!  But then came the crème.  Ugh.  Big difference.  One coat looked streaky and for some reason on the lilac, it shrunk from the edges.  Weird. 

My bottom line?  I'm happy that I bought them.  The only one I'm not sure about is the Smokey Top Coat, but I will give it another try soon.   These are available through Ulta and are $14.99.  What do y'all think of them?  Let me know in the comments!  Until later, Happy Polishing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment