Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fall Water Marble (& Tutorial)

Today is September 27th.  We are five days into fall and here in the south that means...football and weather in the 80's.  Which makes me happy  I love football and hate the cold.  (I admire all y'all who live up north!)  But in honor of fall, I decided to do a water marble. 

And I love how it turned out.  I wasn't expecting the red to be so prominent, but it reminds me of the leaves changing colors.  This is a little longer post and has more pictures than normal, but I wanted to cover every step.  It's not hard to do water marbles, and the effects are incredible.  Here is a step-by-step tutorial (I will post a video as soon as possible):

I used:
Purified Water
Scotch Tape
Toothpicks
Small glass bowl
Spoiled- Designated Driver (yellow)
Sinful Colors- Cloud 9 (orange)
Ulta- Red Carpet Red
Orly- Buried Alive (brown)
(Base & Top Coat)

I started by painting my nails with one coat of Sinful Color's Cloud 9.  Once that was completely dry, I taped my fingers to make clean up easier.  Take two pieces of scotch tape.  Place one piece around the bottom of your nail and the second piece on the sides of your nail going over the tip of your finger.
Next you need something to dip your fingers into.  I have a small glass bowl about 4 inches wide and 3 inches deep that I use only for water marbles.  Don't use something you may want to eat out of again.  Fill the bowl with room temperature purified water.

A quick note about polishes and water marble:  every type of polish (creme, glitter, etc.) works, but not all polishes work.  Huh?? It doesn't matter what type it is, how much it costs, or what brand it is, some work and some don't.  One Orly creme may work and the next Orly creme won't.  You'll just have to experiment with your polishes to see which ones will spread in the water. 

Now it's time to build your bullseye:

Make sure all the tops to your polish are open.  The polish dries very quickly and you have to work fast.  Hold the brush about 1/2 an inch above the water and let one drop fall.  It should spread across the surface of the water.  Repeat with all of your colors, two to three times each, to build the bullseye.

Once you're happy with it, take a toothpick and draw a design.  I start on the outside (be careful of the outer 2-3 rings, they may be dry), and lightly draw the toothpick towards the center.  If you repeat this several times, it will look like a flower.  Then I start in the center and drag outwards.  I like every nail to look different, so I change how I do that each time.

Find the area you like best, and with your nail parallel to the water slowly dip your nail in. 

While your nail is still under the surface, use a toothpick to remove the polish left on the surface.  Then slowly remove your nail from the water.  Wait a minute of two before removing the tape.  Clean around your nail with polish remover and remember to use a top coat.

I hope y'all enjoy this autumn water marble.  As always, let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Polishing!!!

Right Hand:


Left Hand:

No comments:

Post a Comment